Google+

Jeep & Peep – Dynamic Golden Age Comics Penwork by Charles Voight

I just discovered this great artist in the pages of “Jeep Comics.” Check out the amazingly fluid and dynamic artwork by Charles Voight!
Jeep and Peep fighting on airplane wing comic
It’s not just the dynamic angles and composition, but the linework itself is so spontaneous and zippy.
Giant cartoon tree grabs ship
Love that freaky tree creature!
Flying car blasts anthropomorphic comic trees
Charles Voight's penwork reminds me of a cross between Everett Raymond Kinstler and Willard Mullin. Those faces below are great. Check out the depth in the composition…
Evil scientist comic book villainsSuper hero comic flying carcomic book villains
Enough of the preview; Check out the whole story below, from Jeep Comics #1
Jeep Comics cartoon trees
Click on any page to see the BIG comic scan…
Jeep and Peep Case of the Rioting TreesJeep005Jeep006Jeep007Jeep008Jeep009Jeep010Jeep011Jeep012Jeep013Jeep014Jeep and Peep comic book scans

 Another blisteringly wild Charles Voight comic book tale here: http://www.againwiththecomics.com/2009/02/hugh-mann-impossible-man.html

And still more terrific comic book scans featuring the art of Charles Voight are here:
http://fourcolorshadows.blogspot.com/2010/10/impossible-man-charles-voight-1946.html

Thanks to Chris Duffy for the info :)

7 comments:

Duffs said...

Charles Voight!

Unknown said...

These look like quite a great challenge for me to study from! I think I've just about studied from every style imaginable, at least with Warners, Fleischers, MGM, early UPA, early H-B, classic Disney, Terrytoons, Lantz, and all the rest. I even successfully did some Milt Kahl studies of Robin Hood without any problems or getting distracted by the angles and corners. I need something much more challenging and these look perfect for that! Thanks, Sherm!

What other cartoons do you recommend that I study from if I want to get better at drawing backgrounds?

Unknown said...

I don't mean to bother you, Sherm, but did you receive the comment that I submitted earlier today? I'm still going to really study from these comics because of how dynamic and amazing the backgrounds and compositions are, and again, thank you!

Sherm said...

HI Roberto -- yep, I read the comment, but there are so many great artists to choose from that I would simply recommend that you study the artwork that appeals to you the most! Check out http://thegoldenagesite.blogspot.com/ for tons of old-school inspiration :)

Constantine said...

Mr. Cohen, do have you a time machine? This question makes no sense, but I saw your name in Michael Lah's One Droopy Knight titles, I saw it with my eyes! There was written 'Herman Cohen'(Looks like they kinda missed S) :/

To tell the truth, I'm a real lawyer.. I mean lier, I don't any difference :)

El Davo Loco said...

Gosh, the laws of aerodynamics, thermodynamics, and physics are nothin' to an ex army private with some gumption and spunk!
Quite a creative story, to say the least...and I do love the dynamism of his line work. I wonder if deadline pressure had anything to do with it...it looks like he was really cranking out these panels! If so, it's even more impressive that he maintained such quality throughout.

Smurfswacker said...

Voight was nearing the end of his career when he did these comics...he was a mainstream illustrator in the twenties working on ads for national clients. He worked in the pen and ink style you mention, but always with a looser, lighter approach than Gibson school artists. For most illustrators moving into comic books might have seemed a step down, but it looks as if Voight really enjoyed what he was doing. Similarities across many Voight-illustrated stories makes me wonder if he wrote his own scripts.